School Meals


Paying for your child’s school meal


If your child is in Nursery, or Years 3-6


For children in Nursery, and Years 3-6, school meals cost £2.20 per day.  Please pay every Monday at the school office, by using the small brown envelopes; clearly marked with your child’s name, his/her class, and the amount paid.  If you require a receipt, please ask at the office.


Universal Infant Free School Meal


If your child is in Reception, Year 1, or Year 2


From September 2014, all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will be provided with a free school meal under the Universal Infant School Meals legislation.  However, if you qualify for benefits or credits, you will still need to claim for a free school meal in order for the school to receive Pupil Premium funding.  Details about the claim process can be found below.



Free School Meals


Do I qualify for free school meals?


You can claim free school meals for a child who lives with you and who you are responsible for (for example, you receive Child Benefit for them) as long as you are in receipt of these qualifying incomes:


  • Income Support; or

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance; or

  • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit); or

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance; or

  • Child Tax Credit (CTC) as long as you are not getting an amount for childcare paid with your CTC, or getting Working Tax Credit. HM Revenue & Customs must also have worked out household income as £16,190 a year or less. This income limit will be used until April 2015 but may go up in future years; or

  • Universal Credit.


You are also entitled to free school meals if you are in receipt of a Working Tax Credit “run-on” payment for four weeks after stopping work or reducing working hours to under 16 hours a week.

You are also able to claim if you are an asylum seeker.


How do I claim for free school meals?


If you are already in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you don’t need to fill in a separate form to claim for free school meals.  But make sure that you inform Manchester City Council the name and address of the school.  You can claim for free school meals as part of a new claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, or you can complete the Education benefits-only claim form below and send to Manchester City Council.  We also have copies of the form in the school office, and are happy to help you to fill out the form and send on your behalf.

Manchester City Council will need to see evidence that your child lives with you and that you are responsible for them.  For example, an original document:


  • which shows you are in receipt of Child Benefit for the child (this can be your Child Benefit award letter showing your current address); or

  • which shows that the child is part of your household (this could be a Child Tax Credit award letter showing the child’s name)


Please bring these documents to the office if you need us to help you to fill out the form. 


If you are an asylum seeker, don’t fill in these claim forms - there is a separate procedure.  You need to contact the school and show us evidence that you are an asylum seeker. We can accept one of these documents as evidence:


  • IS96

  • Standard acknowledgement letter (SAL) 1 or 2

  • Letter from the Home Office

  • Letter from a solicitor

  • Application registration card (ARC)


We will check your documents and arrange for the free school meals.  More information on education grants from Manchester City Council can be found below:


If you are unsure about any of the processes and procedures, or whether you are entitled for a free school meal, please speak to Miss Marshall in the school office.


Old Hall Drive Academy

Old Hall Drive


M18 7FU

Tel: 0161 223 2805

© 2014 - Primary School