Reading at Old Hall Drive Academy
We are fully committed to ensuring our curriculum will teach all our pupils to speak, read and write fluently and achieve excellent progress during their time at Old Hall Drive. Through reading particularly, our learners will have a wealth of opportunities to develop culturally, emotionally, intellectually and socially. We hope to develop a passion for reading and learning that will benefit them throughout their lives.
At Old Hall Drive Academy, we aim to ensure all children reach their full academic potential in Reading. This means regularly monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of teaching and learning in Reading so that we provide a creative curriculum that is fully inclusive of all our children. As such, we aim to constantly promote high standards in Reading; which enables all children to apply their reading skills across the curriculum.
Our curriculum will ensure that all our learners:
- Read confidently, fluently and with good understanding
- Develop good reading habits; reading widely and often both for pleasure and information
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, a secure understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading and spoken language
- Appreciate and understand our rich and varied literary heritage through a range of appropriate, high quality texts
- Use discussion in order to learn; elaborating and explaining clearly their understanding and ideas
- Become competent speakers and listeners; through formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
- Are supported to achieve the highest possible standards through accurate differentiation that challenges their learning whilst catering for their individual needs.
- Have access to an inspiring library space full of exciting books that encourage reading for pleasure.
Currently the following programmes and related reading resources are utilised but adapted to meet the needs of our learners and are year group or phase specific:
- Reading Recovery - an accredited school-based literacy programme that aims to enable those struggling with reading, to reach age-expected levels within 20 weeks.
- Better Reading Partners - a time-limited, one-to-one intervention that is designed to develop reading skills and enable learners to read with confidence, understanding and enjoyment, with an emphasis on developing learners’ independence as readers.
- Fischer Family Trust – a reciprocal reading programme that is an effective and proven approach to developing reading and comprehension, particularly effective with children who can decode but do not fully understand what they read.
- Project X Code – a reading intervention programme focused on developing both synthetic phonics and comprehension within a highly motivational character series.
- Bug Club – E Books (Home Reading Online) and Bug Club Guided Reading – a whole-school reading programme that brilliantly combines an online reading world of fantastic e-books